Giro d’Italia stage 5: The little Australian, Caleb Ewan (Lotto Soudal), won a crazy technical finish to stage 5 in Cattolica. He weaved his way through the final traffic jam to shoot his front wheel across the line ahead of the unlucky Giacomo Nizzolo. Ewan was in a class of his own in the last metres. Alessandro De Marchi held the overall lead.
*** Full ‘PEZ Stage 5 Report very soon. ***
Ewan made it look easy
Caleb Ewan has put the fifth stage of the Giro d’Italia in his palmarès today. In Cattolica he was the fastest in the bunch sprint. There was yet another second place for Giacomo Nizzolo and third for Elia Viviani. Pavel Sivakov and Mikel Landa had bad crashes on the run in to the finish.
No cold rain today in Modena
Giro stage 5 route: A pan-flat stage running almost entirely along the ss. 9 Via Emilia, on straight and mostly wide roads. As the stage passes through several urban areas, roundabouts, traffic islands and street furniture will be found along the route. The final kilometres are raced on city roads. A brace of roundabouts and bends, 3 left-handers and one right-hander, leads into the home straight, approx. 900m.
Alessandro De Marchi looking good in pink
The peloton rolls out of Modena for a very flat stage
Radio problems for the race leader
The Israel Start up Nation team did the early work
There was some early entertainment
The break of the day Cattolica – Davide Gabburo (Bardiani CSF Faizanè) and Simon Pellaud (Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec)
It looked like rain for the finish
They were never going to succeed
Lotto were working for Caleb Ewan
And Ewan finished the job
Stage winner, Caleb Ewan (Lotto Soudal): “It’s a relief because my goal this year is to win at least one stage in all three Grand Tours. There was pressure on me and the team to do a good job today. Now that I have won a stage I think I’ll be hungry for more.”
Maglia Rosa, Alessandro De Marchi (Israel Start up Nation): “My first stage wearing the jersey started out quite relaxed, but the finale was a bit crazy. I hope the guys who crashed are ok. Tomorrow I’ll try to keep this jersey and also help Dan Martin.”
Giro d’Italia Stage 5 Result:
1. Caleb Ewan (Aus) Lotto Soudal in 4:07:01
2. Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Qhubeka Assos
3. Elia Viviani (Ita) Cofidis
4. Peter Sagan (Svk) BORA-hansgrohe
5. Fernando Gaviria Rendon (Col) UAE Team Emirates
6. Matteo Moschetti (Ita) Trek-Segafredo
7. Andrea Pasqualon (Ita) Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert Matériaux
8. Dylan Groenewegen (Ned) Jumbo-Visma
9. Manuel Belletti (Ita) eolo-Kometa
10. Davide Cimolai (Ita) Israel Start-up Nation.
Giro d’Italia Overall After Stage 5:
1. Alessandro De Marchi (Ita) Israel Start-up Nation in 17:57:45
2. Louis Vervaeke (Bel) Alpecin-Fenix at 0:42
3. Nelson Oliveira (Por) Movistar at 0:48
4. Attila Valter (Hun) Groupama-FDJ at 1:00
5. Nicolas Edet (Fra) Cofidis at 1:15
6. Aleksandr Vlasov (Rus) Astana-Premier Tech at 1:24
7. Remco Evenepoel (Bel) Deceuninck – Quick-Step at 1:28
8. Alberto Bettiol (Ita) EF Education-Nippo at 1:37
9. Hugh Carthy (GB) EF Education-Nippo at 1:38
10. Egan Bernal Gomez (Col) INEOS Grenadiers at 1:39.