Like PEZ? Why not subscribe to our weekly newsletter to receive updates and reminders on what’s cool in road cycling?
Stage Report: The first stage of the 2020 Tour de France was said to be one for the sprinters, what no one predicted was the weather. The day was no damp squib with crashes galore and a big bunch finish. One of the oldest men in the peloton, Alexander Kristoff (UAE Team Emirates) took the win ahead of World champion Mads Pedersen (Trek-Segafredo).
*** More to come. ***
to watch the 2020 Tour de France live and on demand in Canada, with exclusive interviews, expert analysis from Mike Woods & Svein Tuft, and a host of other behind-the-scenes content available worldwide. Plus, join others in playing the Tour de France fantasy cycling game, only on FloBikes in the United States and Canada.**
New European champion, Giacomo Nizzolo – Not his day
Stage 1 Route:
Christian Prudhomme described the stage: “A rather unfamiliar format perfect for a great popular show: three loops in the hinterland of Nice including one to be covered twice giving the spectators an opportunity to see the pack go by all along the day before possibly witnessing the first act of the great battle between the sprinters. A bunched sprint is indeed expected at the end of the long final straight on the Promenade des Anglais.”
The peloton leaving Nice
The day was occasionally dry
The break of the day
A wet day in the South of France
Tour de France Stage 1 Result:
1. Alexander Kristoff Nor) UAE-Team Emirates in 3:46:23
2. Mads Pedersen (Den) Trek-Segafredo
3. Cees Bol (Ned) Sunweb
4. Sam Bennett (Ire) Deceuninck – Quick-Step
5. Peter Sagan (Slo) BORA-hansgrohe
6. Elia Viviani (Ita) Cofidis
7. Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) NTT Pro Cycling
8. Bryan Coquard (Fra) B&B Hotels-Vital Concept p/b KTM
9. Anthony Turgis (Fra) Total Direct Energie
10. Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Trek-Segafredo.
Tour de France Overall After Stage 1:
1. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) UAE Team Emirates.