I bloody love banoffee pie. This one is a bit different though… no cream, no biscuits, no syrup, and gluten-free; it sounds like a recipe for disaster. In fact, this Rude Alternative Banoffee Pie is something I dreamed up as a more whole-food plant-based version of the classic. It is not exactly a healthy banoffee pie recipe, but it is a damn sight better than your average.
Utilising coconut cream, oat cakes, Rude Health Date Bars, and Bonraw Coconut Sugar; it is still a naughty treat, but without so many of the processed high-cholesterol nasties.
- 130 grams Rude Health Spelt Oaty Oat Cakes (2.5 pouches)
- 2x Rude Health Date Peanut and Banana Bars
- 2 tbsp Butter or Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1x 397g Tin Carnation Caramel
- 2x large ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp BonRaw Coconut Sugar
- 1x Can full-fat coconut milk, chilled in fridge
- Cocoa powder to dust
- Melt the butter on the hob
- Place all the Base ingredients in a food processor and blitz until they resemble a moist crumbly mixture
- Grease the sides of a 20cm springform tin and then press the blended base mixture very firmly into the tin so you have a smooth even base with a little lip at the side. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Spread the caramel mixture over the set base and then arrange the slices of banana evenly around the base. Place back in the refrigerator.
- Remove the coconut milk tin from the fridge. Open and scoop just the hardened coconut cream from the top of the tin. Save the watery bit to drink later (it’s isotonic!)
- In a medium sized bowl, use an electric whisk to blend the coconut cream with the coconut sugar until it makes peaks
- Spread the whipped cream on top of the banana slices and sprinkle with cocoa powder
- Serve immediately!